We were experimenting with studio flashes once again to gain more experience and understanding of lightning techniques.
Our group decided to start with testing backlights directed on a model. We used a softbox and two snoots for purpose.
- The first image was made using a softbox placed on one side at the front of the model.
You can see soft light on one side of model’s face and dark shadows on the other side.
- We placed a shoot behind the model so that it would highlight her from the backside.
Highlights can be seen on the jacket, scarf, face and hair of the model. It separates her from the background and brings more bright colour into her hair.
- Then we added one more snoot on the other side.
The photograph looks even brighter and more colourful than the previous. The model is totally separated from the background. Some light reaches her face filling in shadows.
For the second test we used a beauty dish as the main light and two softboxes on the sides.
- The beauty dish leaves slight shadows under cheekbones, it’s better seen on the first image because the model’s face is turned in the direction of light.
- Then we placed a softbox on one side of the models.
It fills in shadows on the same side and behind the models.
- We placed another softbox on the opposite side. It did the same thing on that side. The shadows behind the models disappeared completely.